Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Introduction


Getting ready for the trip... can not sleep... very anxious...

To start out, Tonga is a small chain of islands in the South Pacific. We will be staying on the island of Vavau', which is located in the northern portion of the chain. Click here to see the house we have leased. Currently, it is summer in Tonga and the rainy season and Vavau' gets hit the most. Cyclones occur during this time of season at an average of 1 in 10 years... I hope this year will be the year, that would be awesome!

Visit Lonely Planet or Wikipedia if you would like more info on Tonga.


So the big questions: Why Tonga?

hmmm.... I was looking for a place that met the following criteria:
1. a new place that does not resemble Western civilization
2. English is known by a high percentage of the people
3. friendly people, safe, and family oriented
4. adventurous
5. inexpensive
6. some conveniences

After an hour of thinking and a little research on the internet, I settled with Tonga.


What are you going to do?
I would like to eating fresh food, scuba diving, fishing, and sailing. But, since that might get expensive or maybe even old after a week, I would plan on finding some volunteer work to do. I'm thinking something along the line of teaching some computer skills or English.


How big is the island of Vavau'?
The island is about 10mi x 7.5mi with a population of about 6,000.


How long does it take to get there? 27.5 hours
I have to admit, this will not be fun with a 18mo old. The schedule in hours is:
0:00 - depart for Las Vegas airport
2:00 - depart to LA
3:09 - arrive in LA
8:15 - depart for Somoa
UK - arrive in Somoa for 1:25 layover
21:15 - arrive in capital of Tonga, Nuku'alofa
25:30 - depart for Vavau'
26:30 - arrive in Vavau'
27:30 - arrive at house

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi its me Winnie, I'm not so sure if you guys still remember me but I was one of the girls in that Tongan family who always hangout with you guys while staying in my island Vava'u. I was looking for stuffs in google and found this blog, how I miss those days and fun times. I loved all those pictures it brings me great memories about home and families. Looking forward to hear from you guys. I miss Caleb ofa atu